show on map
Built in 1852 as the Union Furnace, this furnace changed hands and names many times. It was known at various times as the Union, Withers, Ford, Fire-Eater, Diamond, and Ward Furnace.
Ore was dumped in the top of the furnace. Air was blasted in through the tuyere arch on the right (east) side by a set of bellows, powered by a waterwheel. The waterwheel and bellows were actually located about 50 feet away from the furnace itself. Molten iron flowed out of the casting arch on the front (south) side. Slag also flowed out of the casting arch, presumably to the right of the molten iron.
Extensive slag heaps lie to the right (east) of the furnace.
A few bits of ore lie here and there in front of the furnace.
Vague remains of the rock-armored outflow for the waterwheel lie downhill to the right of the furnace, near the creek.
Even more vague remains of what might have been the mill race still line the west side of Stamp Creek, upstream, in line with the rock-armored outflow.
The hillside to the south of the furnace is terraced.
A leveled area with what might be chimney ruins lie southeast of the furnace.
See the link for much more info.
The iron manufacturer's guide to the furnaces, forges and rolling mills of the United States - 1859 (page 77)
Union Furnace ~ Diamond Furnace aka Withers, Ford, Fire-Eater Furnace, on Stamp Crk
Coords: 34.255421 N -84.689387 W
GPX Downloads: Waypoint