show on map
The meadow to the south was once a lake, created by this dam.
The dam and lake were created around 1902 to catch runoff from the ore washers of the Sugar Hill Iron Mine to the west. The mud from this runoff, and presumably the general runoff from the mine, ultimately filled in the lake.
The dam appears to have several breaches, but the main breach appears to have occurred at the eastern end.
GPX Downloads: Waypoint